Monday, July 20, 2009

Foodgasm

This is what's for dinner tonight.  I fully intend to stuff myself until it hurts to breathe.

Seafood chowder

melt in stockpot over med. high heat:
3T olive oil
4T butter

Chop (I pulverize the onion, celery & pepper to mush in my food processor but to each their own) and drop in:
1 med onion
1 red bell pepper, roasted or not
3 ribs celery and their leaves
2 Lg potatooes, scrubbed and peeled

saute veggies until soft, then add:
1/2c flour
stir well, then add:
3/4 c white wine or sherry
2T Old Bay seasoning
salt & pepper

stir well, let bubble. Then add:
3 to 4c. chicken or seafood stock

then dump in:
1 lb chopped boneless, skinless white fish ( whatever's on sale, I add mine frozen but chopped)
1lb chopped peeled raw shrimp (if you want to use cooked shrimp, add it last)
however much crabmeat or imitation crab you'd like or can afford

stir until fish and shrimp are cooked, then add:
3 to 4c. half and half

Using more liquid stretches this a bit further, but you may want to adjust the seasonings. I used more liquid because I like sopping it up with crusty bread.
Bring to a bubble, then reduce heat and try not to scald yourself by eating it too fast.

OMG.  Break out the stretchy pants. 



No comments:

Post a Comment