Tuesday, July 14, 2009


Materfamilias

Like a lot of women, growing up I had a rough go of it with my mother there for awhile. I was a horrible kid, I admit. I was a completely judgemental, know-it-all, acid-tongued, disrespectful, bratty little twat who never forgave her a single oversight or shortcoming and never let her forget them either. For her part, she refrained from killing me with an ice pick to the throat in my sleep and provided me with room and board for 19 years. Thanks Mom!!

She is quite honestly the most well-intentioned person I have ever met. She never *means* any harm, or intends to hurt anyone's feelings. She's not cruel or unkind or sarcastic or thoughtless or judgmental or selfish. God Bless her, she even puts up with my Dad, who is still for the most part a 63 year old child; and my brother, a 6"4' tattooed biker, who was, if it's possible, even harder to raise than I was. If there was a matriarchy, the woman probably actually qualified for sainthood right around 1987.

BUT.

She is driving me crazy these days. Quite by accident I am sure, but nevertheless....

Her worry about the situation between jackass and I is driving her a little bit insane. She says she doesn't want to know details, but jumps to her own (incorrect) conclusions in the absence of facts. When I try to talk to her she becomes a bit too emotional. So I avoid her. Which makes it worse. Then she worries herself into a frenzy and decides that she has to speak up about whatever it is she has been obsessing about, and I have to smooth the rough edges and give her more details; which upsets her, so she asks me to hold back, which starts the whole fucking cycle all over again. She is either wayyyyy to involved, or can't bear to know anything.

The best part? It looks like the kids & I may be living under her roof again sometime in the very near future, until things settle down with jackass and his legal troubles.

Why Yes, this IS a grande double Margarita with extra salt. And hell yeah I will take that with a side of Prozac.....Think about it.... how much better your adolescence would have been if you had availed yourself of all the chemical coping mechanisms you have access to as an adult.

I'm afraid neither one of us may survive Round Two without pharmaceutical intervention. It beats the ice pick, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment